Friday 20 May 2011

USA Review 4 - Al Fresco - Apple Maple Chicken Sausage

I discovered this sausage due to recent economic cutbacks at home after the $47 it took to fill the gas tank last week. Unless there is inclement weather, I'm not taking the car if the distance is two miles or less one way. After fastening my darling little sidekick in her jogging stroller, we took off through the neighborhood to walk/jog to the nearest grocery store, which happens to be Foodtown.

I wish I could send each and every one of you a sample of this sausage. The Bisto Factor/Sniff Test alone is worth every single penny. What a marvelous aroma, the scent of sausage and sweet maple coming from the pan. It just screams "Come hither and eat me up!"

These sausages are precooked, so just heat them up in the pan. They are also gluten-free and skinless.




Flavor:


Combo of sweet apples, rich sweet earthy maple syrup, and chicken. The meaty taste is almost non-existent compared to the sweetness. This is an extremely sweet sausage, it could almost pass for candy. If I was eating this blindfolded, I would think it was actually pancakes with syrup, aside from the texture factor. I ate each piece really slowly savoring all the deliciousness. Oddly enough, my daughter did not like these at all, even though she likes all the components that are in it.




Texture:


Soft, no crispness due to no skin.




Sniff Test:


On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 to the nth power, knockout aroma. I wish my kitchen always smelled like that.




Price:


$5.99 for a package of 7 skinny sausages weighing a total of 8 ounces. Pretty pricey. I think they are worth it for the quality for the occasional splurge. In this time of smaller grocery budgets, I wish the price was a little better so I could get these more often. If they go on sale, I will definitely grab a few packages.




Fatty Stats:


Each 32g link has 60 calories, 2.5g fat, 1g sat. fat, and 6g protein. Very healthy for the waistline.




Ingredients:


Skinless chicken meat, pure maple syrup, evaporated cane juice, dried apples (unsulfured), salt, lemon juice, spices. I really like it when all the ingredients are pronounceable and easily identifiable. Huge plus.




The company that makes this sausage has a nice website if you are interested http://www.alfrescoallnatural.com/FlavorsIntroNew.aspx




The other varieties look very interesting, but I certainly haven't seen such variety at the grocery store.

No comments: