Tuesday 4 May 2010

Papworth's Farmhouse Pork Sausage


This week we return to Swaffham market place, and the warm welcome found at Papworth‘s Butchers & Graziers.


Our first visit saw us trying the Papworth‘s Champion pork sausage. Now, I would have thought that with the name “Champion”, this was their best banger. I would have thought wrong. Read on….


Meat Content:
I believe each of these sausages may be the entire leg of a tiny breed of pig, genetically engineered by Papworth’s in a lab somewhere, possibly just off the A1065 Fakenham to Swaffham road in one of the Weasenhams (my money’s on Weasenham All Saints). Superbly meaty, these bangers are deliciously chunky, a carnivore’s delight. Bravo!

Flavour:
Porky. Peppery. Perfect! Every single bite was an absolute joy, and I found myself cutting them smaller so that the meal would last longer. That’s a first for me, as I still have the military mindset of “Eat as fast as you can”. When you buy some, relish every mouthful.



Texture:Would “fabulous“ do them justice? Could I risk a “sumptuous“? Papworth‘s sure know how to make sausages, and these are even better than their Champion Porkers. Sliced into six the slices stood defiantly upright, daring me to “come and have a nibble, if you think you’re hard enough”. So I re-sliced each slice, and they still stood firm. To say that these chaps are “firm” is inadequate. Perfection in a pig-skin.

Shrinkage:Average weight uncooked - 79g
Average weight cooked - 72g

Shrinkage - 9%

Unprecedented single-figure shrinkage. The lowest score of any banger so far, with 12% being the next lowest (Vancouver Butcher’s Pork Sausage and Papworth’s other banger, the Champion Pork). GREAT work Papworth’s.


Value For Money:
£3.05, for 6 sausages weighing 476g - this is a price of £6.58 per kg, or 51p per snorker. 51p is maybe in the top quarter of the table price-wise but you need to ask - “Is this sausage what I is scoffing worth 51p?” For me, it’s a no-brainer, “YES!” Great VFM, buy some right now!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Papworth`s traditional sausages are the finest money can buy. Look out for their pork and venison. Exquisite.